(Adds details on number of prisoners participating)
LOS ANGELES, Sept 5 (Reuters) - All California inmates taking part in a hunger strike have begun taking food again, ending a mass protest of the state's policy of keeping some prisoners in near-isolation for years, corrections officials said on Thursday.
Some 100 inmates at two California prisons had been on a hunger strike as of Wednesday afternoon, with 40 of them having refused state-issued meals since July 8, when prisoners first began refusing to eat, said department spokeswoman Dana Simas.
By Thursday morning, all inmates who had been participating in the hunger strike began taking meals or had otherwise started "the process of re-feeding," the department said in a statement.
"We are pleased this dangerous strike has been called off before any inmates became seriously ill," California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Secretary Jeff Beard said in a statement.
He added that the prisons would "continue to implement the substantive reforms in California's Security Housing Units that we initiated two years ago." He gave no further details.
A representative from the Prisoner Hunger Strike Solidarity Coalition, which advocated for the prisoners, declined to comment on the statement by corrections officials, but he said prisoners would release their own statement on Thursday. (Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Maureen Bavdek)