* Taliban claim responsibility on Twitter
* First major attack in Kabul since July
* Compound was attacked last year (Adds Taliban statement)
KABUL, Oct 18 (Reuters) - An attack involving a car bomb followed by gunfire was launched by Taliban fighters on a convoy of vehicles near an international compound in eastern Kabul on Friday evening, security sources said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility on Twitter and later sent out a statement.
The attack started around 5 p.m. when a convoy of vehicles belonging to foreign forces was attacked by a suicide bomber in a car and the blast was followed by gunfire, according to security sources.
"This attack was carried on a foreign invaders' convoy and also the important Green Village centre," spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter.
It was the first major attack to strike the capital since July.
Police sources said the final target was Green Village, a residence for military contractors and other international staff. Later reports by other security sources indicated fighting had taken place on the street nearby.
"First there was an explosion in front of Green Village which destroyed two or three vehicles belonging to foreign forces," a police official said, adding that insurgents had then headed for the entrance to the compound.
But a second security source said the compound had not been hit by the attack.
"Doesn't look like it. It was out on the street rather than inside," the source said, adding that a number of Afghan casualties had been reported from the scene.
The Green Village compound was the target of a similar attack last year. (Reporting by Jessica Donati and Mirwais Harooni; Editing by Andrew Roche)