Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly
Members login
  • TrustLaw
  • Members Portal
Subscribe

Iran guards chief says foreign min not qualified to comment on military- report

Source: Reuters - Wed, 11 Dec 2013 07:32 AM
Author: Reuters
med-dev hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Bookmark Email Print
Leave us a comment

DUBAI, Dec 11 (Reuters) - The commander of Iran's elite revolutionary guards force, Mohammad Jafari, said the foreign minister was not qualified to comment on military matters, after the minister said the West could easily destroy the country's defences.

Last week Mohmmad Javad Zarif was quoted by local media as saying the West had little fear of Iran's military defences and could destroy them if it wished, although Zarif has said his statement was skewed and taken out of context.

"We consider him an experienced diplomat, but he has no experience in the military field," Fars news agency reported Jafari as saying on Tuesday, without naming Zarif.

The commander-in-chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Jafari was answering a question about whether U.S. forces could destroy Iran's military capability with a few bombs.

"It's not like that at all. He has no military experience or expertise," Jafari said during a visit to Tehran's Imam Sadiq University. (Reporting by Isabel Coles and Marcus George)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs