Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly
Members login
  • TrustLaw
  • Members Portal
Subscribe

Komodo dragon dies in San Antonio zoo reptile house fire

Source: Reuters - Mon, 16 Dec 2013 05:39 PM
Author: Reuters
hum-nat
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Bookmark Email Print
Leave us a comment

SAN ANTONIO, Texas, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Six reptiles, including a rare Komodo dragon, were killed on Monday in a fire at the San Antonio Zoo likely caused by an electric problem, zoo officials said.

Zoo staff had to move venomous snakes and reptiles to safety after the fire broke out at the two-floor Komodo House, home to about 100 snakes, lizards and other creatures.

"It was a challenge for the firefighters," San Antonio Fire Department spokeswoman Deborah Foster said.

Firefighters tried to keep water usage to a minimum to avoid drowning the animals.

The five-foot-long (150 cm) female Komodo dragon, one of the zoo's star attractions, likely died of smoke inhalation, zoo officials said.

The carnivorous Komodo dragon is the world's largest living lizard. It is native to a few volcanic islands in Indonesia and can reach up to 10 feet (3 meters) in length, according to the National Zoo in Washington, DC.

"The Komodo dragon exhibition is closed down probably indefinitely," zoo spokeswoman Debbie Rios-Vanskike said. "It will get us six to eight months to get that up and running again." (Reporting by Jim Forsyth; Editing by Jon Herskovitz and David Gregorio)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs