Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Afghan Taliban claim attack on NATO convoy in Kabul

Source: Reuters - Sat, 4 Jan 2014 18:36 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

(Adds Taliban statement)

KABUL, Jan 4 (Reuters) - The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility for an attack on a military convoy belonging to the NATO-led ISAF security force in Kabul on Saturday, striking at the heart of the capital but without causing any casualties.

Security sources said the bomb had targeted a military convoy near Camp Eggers, an ISAF base in the diplomatic quarter of the capital close to both the German and Italian embassies.

Reuters reporters heard sirens and helicopters flying overhead, and a loudspeaker announcement ordered troops at the base to load their weapons and take up defensive positions.

The NATO-led force said only that there had been "an improvised explosive device detonation in the vicinity of Camp Eggers", but that no casualties had resulted.

The Taliban, who frequently exaggerate the scale of their attacks, claimed in an emailed statement to have inflicted losses.

In a separate incident on Saturday, however, one ISAF soldier was killed in the east of the country by a suicide attack. The force did not disclose the victim's nationality.

There was also another explosion in the capital on Saturday.

"There was a small mine ... placed by enemies of Afghanistan, but no casualties," a police spokesman said. (Reporting by Jessica Donati and Mirwais Harooni; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus