Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly
Members login
  • TrustLaw
  • Members Portal
Subscribe Donate

Brahimi says no breakthrough in Syria talks

Source: Reuters - Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:06 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-peo wom-rig hum-war
A boy sits at his parents' house, damaged by shelling by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad, in Talbiseh, near Homs August 31, 2012. Picture taken August 31, 2012. REUTERS/Shaam News
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

GENEVA, Jan 27 (Reuters) - International mediator Lakhdar Brahimi said on Monday that the Syrian parties were still discussing how women and children can leave the Old City of Homs, but that there had been no decision on allowing access for an aid convoy into the besieged city.

Brahimi, addressing a news conference after meeting both sides, said that there was an apparent will to continue the negotiations, but he never expected any miracle to end the nearly three-year war.

"I told you yesterday that there was an agreement by the government that women and children can come out of Old City in Homs, I think they still discussing how that can be done. I think that the government is willing to make it happen, but it is not easy because there are snipers and there are all sorts of problems," Brahimi said.

He added: "Unfortunately there is no agreement on a ceasefire or the alleviation of the level of violence practised in Syria."

(Reporting by Tom Miles, writing by Stephanie Nebehay)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus