Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly
Members login
  • TrustLaw
  • Members Portal
Subscribe Donate

Libyan port rebels say ready to talk to government if Tripoli cancels army offensive

Source: Reuters - Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:08 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

TRIPOLI, March 15 (Reuters) - Libyan rebels who have seized three oil export ports said on Saturday they were ready to negotiate with the government over an end to their blockade if it abandoned plans for a military offensive.

Abb-Rabbo al-Barassi, the eastern autonomy movement's self-apointed "prime minister", told Reuters by phone that talks could not start unless the central government withdrew any troops it had sent to central Libya to confront them.

He also said a tanker that had loaded oil last week at one of the rebel-held ports had reached its destination, though he declined to say where that was. He said more ships were expected at the seized ports. (Reporting by Feras Bosalum; Writing by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs