Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Death toll from Guinea haemorrhagic fever rises to 29

Source: Reuters - Fri, 21 Mar 2014 20:35 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-dis cli-for
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

CONAKRY, March 21 (Reuters) - The death toll from an outbreak of a haemorrhagic fever in Guinea's southeastern forest region has climbed to 29, while the number of cases has risen to 49, a health ministry official in the west African country said on Friday.

Sakoba Keita, in charge of the prevention of epidemics, said preliminary results from tests carried out in France to identify the disease were so far inconclusive.

"However, we are narrowing it down to Ebola and Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF)," Keita said.

The two highly lethal diseases are caused by similar viruses that are among the most virulent pathogens known to infect humans, the World Health Organisation says on its website.

The first case of the outbreak in Guinea was reported on Feb. 9. Cases have been recorded in three southeastern towns and in the capital Conakry. (Reporting by Saliou Samb; Writing by Bate Felix; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs