Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

University of Connecticut issues all-clear after bomb threat

Source: Reuters - Thu, 3 Apr 2014 17:58 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war hum-peo
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

(Updates with no bomb found)

April 3 (Reuters) - Police found no evidence of explosive devices in a search of a building on the University of Connecticut's campus outside Hartford following a bomb threat earlier on Thursday, and students and staff were cleared to return to the premises.

The administrative building had been evacuated following the threat, received at 9:12 a.m. EDT (1312 GMT), and a police search of the premises yielded "no credible threat," according to a posting on the university Web site.

Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said the threat had come outside the university and that the building contained no classrooms or dorms.

On a typical day, there are about 20,000 students and staff at the school's main campus in Storrs, Connecticut, about 28 miles (45 km) east of Hartford, Reitz said. (Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Bernadette Baum)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus