Any views expressed in this article are those of the author and not of Thomson Reuters Foundation.
In 2013, WFP restructured its support to BNPB and provincial Disaster Management agencies on activities related to Emergency Logistics Preparedness including: Training on Emergency Logistics; Logistics Capacity Assessments in select disaster-prone provinces; Provision of Emergency Response Equipment; Support to BNPB’s Data Center, platform for the management of secondary data; and Support to BNPB’s project on National Strategic Warehouse in Jakarta. To ensure sustainable development of BNPB capacities, both agencies are developing a three-year strategy and joint implementation work-plan. The proposed strategy aims at strengthening GoI’s Emergency Response capacities by: Reinforcing the surge capacity of humanitarian actors & strengthening logistics preparedness and response; Establishing a national Network of Disaster Response Facilities (Humanitarian Staging Areas) in Jakarta, Medan and Makassar; and Capacity Building of the Emergency Planners and Responders.Vacancy Announcement
The United Nations World Food Programme, Indonesia invites applications from eligible candidates for the following position:
Position : Logistics & Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) Assistant (for Indonesian Nationals only)
Contract Type : Service Contract
Contract Duration : 6 months
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
In early 2013 WFP restructured its support to BNPB and some provincial Disaster Management agencies on activities related to Emergency Logistics Preparedness including:
· Training on Emergency Logistics;
· Logistics Capacity Assessments in a selection of disaster-prone provinces;
· Provision of Emergency Response Equipment;
· Support to BNPB's Data Center, platform for the management of secondary data; and
· Support to BNPB's project on National Strategic Warehouse in Jakarta.
To ensure sustainable development of BNPB capacities, both agencies are developing a three-year strategy and joint implementation work-plan. The proposed strategy aims at strengthening GoI's Emergency Response capacities by:
· Reinforcing the surge capacity of humanitarian actors & strengthening logistics preparedness and response;
· Establishing a national Network of Disaster Response Facilities (Humanitarian Staging Areas) in Jakarta, Medan and Makassar; and
· Capacity Building of the Emergency Planners and Responders.
The responsibilities detailed below are part of this strategy and related work-plan.
Reporting to the Emergency Preparedness & Response Team Leader of WFP Indonesia and to the different officers in charge, the Logistics & EPR Assistant will carry out the following tasks:
· Training Component
· Translate and customize the training curriculum and complementary tools developed at the Regional level.
· Support the organization of ToT sessions:
o Identification of partners
o Sessions practical organization
· EPR Component
· Disaster Monitoring / Early Warning
o Emergency Information Collection from:
§ Governmental Agencies: BNPB, BPBDs, BMKG, Institute for Volcanology, etc.
§ Non-governmental agencies: UN Agencies (incl. SOs), (I)NGOs (incl. SOs), PMI (incl. branches), etc.
o Emergency Information Communication Tree
o Training on Disaster Monitoring to CO, SO, stakeholders
· Follow up of WFP Emergency Preparedness and Response Package process
o Monitoring of MPAs / ERAs implementation
· ERT Component
· Support the establishment, monitoring and training of WFP Indonesia Emergency Response Roster
· Support the training of national staff (utilizing existing corporate trainings) in the areas of Cluster coordination, Telecommunications, Operational support equipment, disaster response simulations (FASTER, LRT etc.) and Emergency Programme Design and Management
· Support the training and equipment of WFP Emergency Response Team (ERT)
· Member of the ERT
· Logistics Component
· Follow up of WFP's participation to BNPB's National Strategic Warehouse project:
o Follow up of the tender processes for (i) site identification and (ii) functional design
o Compile the necessary information for the Warehouse's SOPs
o Progress monitoring.
· Bring appropriate support to WFP Field Operations, including during Emergencies, as requested
· Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experiences:
Education: Secondary school education including or supplemented by courses related to the area of work.
Experience: At least four years of progressively responsible job related experience in Logistics.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
Desirable Skills: Additional experience in Emergency Humanitarian operations is preferable. Experience working in an international organization or multicultural environment.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to apply. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Applications should be addressed by E-mail to: Jakarta.Vacancy@wfp.org. Please put the vacancy number and the post title in the subject matter.
All applications should include an updated CV, a photograph and three references and should be received no later than 25 April 2014.
"Only short-listed candidates will be contacted"