Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

California city evacuation lifted after military ordinance found

Source: Reuters - Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:22 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war hum-ref
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

(Adds evacuation lifted in paragraphs 4-5)

April 17 (Reuters) - An evacuation order was lifted in a California city on Thursday after a piece of potentially explosive "military ordinance" reported in its business district was rendered safe, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office said.

A sheriff's department bomb squad and a disposal unit from Vandenberg Air Force Base investigated the unidentified device, which was reported at around 3:30 p.m. local time in Solvang, a town of about 5,000 residents some 130 miles outside Los Angeles.

Residents in 500 to 700 homes and businesses had been ordered to leave on Wednesday.

There were no reports of injury. It was unclear whether any threat remained. The American Red Cross set up a location to assist displaced people, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office said.

Shortly after midnight on Thursday, the bomb units removed the military ordnance and "rendered it safe." The evacuation was lifted and residents were allowed to return to their homes, the sheriff's office said.

Officials released a picture of what appeared to be an artillery shell nestled on plastic bags, but did not provide any details. (Reporting by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle; Editing by Larry King and Sofina Mirza-Reid)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus