Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Borno state authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still missing

Source: Reuters - Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:42 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-peo hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, April 17 (Reuters) - Authorities in Nigeria's northeast Borno state denied on Thursday a statement by the armed forces which had said most of the more than 100 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels from a local school had been freed in a military rescue operation.

"As I am talking to you now (Thursday), only 14 of the students have returned," an aide to Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima told Reuters, asking not to be named. Armed forces spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade had announced late on Wednesday that only eight of the students were still missing.

There was no immediate explanation for the contradictory versions regarding the large group of female students kidnapped late on Monday by Islamist Boko Haram insurgents from a school at Chibok in Borno state. (Reporting by Lanre Ola; Editing by Pascal Fletcher)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus