Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

South Korean crew member says "we were ordered" to leave sinking ferry

Source: Reuters - Wed, 14 May 2014 02:01 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-peo
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

(Corrects April 24 story to attribute comment in lead paragraph to male crew member, not female)

SEOUL, April 24 (Reuters) - A member of crew of a South Korean ferry that sank last week said on Thursday he and his colleagues were "under command" to abandon ship.

The Sewol, weighing almost 7,000 tonnes, sank on a routine trip from the port of Incheon, near Seoul, to the southern holiday island of Jeju. Investigations are focused on human error and mechanical failure.

The unidentified crew member, speaking briefly to reporters on the way from court back into detention, was speaking behind a surgical mask and wearing a baseball cap with a jacket hood.

More than 300 people, most of them students and teachers from the same school, are dead or missing presumed dead in the April 16 disaster.

As the ferry began sinking, the crew told the children to stay in their cabins. (Writing by Nick Macfie; Editing by David Chance)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus