Any views expressed in this article are those of the author and not of Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Working towards a disability inclusive post-2015 framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (HFA2). Background information and useful resources for engaging in the advocacy and consultation process.
Overview of the post-2015 DRR process
The Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015 (HFA) is a 10-year plan to make the world safer from natural hazards. As a follow-up to this, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) is facilitating the development of a Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
Consultations with stakeholders began in early 2012 and included online and live meeting, eight Regional Platforms and the 4th Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in Geneva 2013. During 2014, Regional Platform conferences, national meetings and events continue, and their outcomes will feed into the discussions and final adoption of the post-2015 framework on DRR during the 3rd World Conference on DRR in Japan in March 2015.
Ensuring disability inclusion
The current Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) does not include disability sufficiently, and persons with disabilities and their participation have been largely absent in policies and programs so far.
The consultations for a post-2015 framework on DRR have paid more attention to the inclusion of persons with disabilities and CBM has played a significant role, together with partners, to support their participation in key events. CBM will continue to take part in this way through 2014 via its networks and through supporting the participation of Disabled People's Organisations (DPOs) and persons with disabilities.
Useful resources in the advocacy and consultation process
You can download the resource documents below to learn more about the consultation and negotiation process during 2014-2015, find guidance on how to become involved, see where key documents and statements can be found, and see general links to related information on the HFA, post-2015 DRR and disability.
- Quick guide to post-2015 DRR framework (PDF, ~ 479.2kB)
- Guía Rápida para el marco post-2015 (PDF, ~ 492.9kB)
- Post-2015 Disaster Risk Reduction framework - CBM Policy brief (PDF, ~ 418.6kB)
- Marco Post-2015 para la Reducción del Riesgo de Desastres - Resumen de políticas de CBM (PDF, ~ 438.3kB)
- CBM policy brief – DRR and Climate change (PDF, ~ 685.4kB)
- CBM brief on Sustainable Development (DOCX, ~ 65.3kB)
- Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Management (PDF, ~ 602.0kB - presenting good examples of disability inclusive disaster risk management)