Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Afghanistan revises down death toll from market attack to 43

Source: Reuters - Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:43 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

KABUL, July 16 (Reuters) - Afghanistan on Wednesday revised down the casualty figure from a car bomb attack in the eastern province of Paktika to 43 from 89, saying at least 74 people had been wounded.

A car packed with explosives detonated on Tuesday as it sped through a crowded market in northern Paktika, killing scores of people as it tried to escape from a police vehicle chasing it.

The Defence Ministry put the death toll at 89 at the time but the Health Ministry said a day later that 43 people had been killed. It gave no reason for the revision.

The explosion took place not far from the porous border with Pakistan's North Waziristan region, where the military has been attacking hideouts of the Pakistani Taliban in the past few weeks, prompting militants to retreat toward Afghanistan.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack as a "despicable criminal act", his spokesman said.

The Taliban have distanced themselves from the attack. The movement's leaders have ordered militants not to target civilians. (Reporting by Mirwais Harooni, Writing by Maria Golovnina; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs