Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Turkey says suspends operations in Libya embassy due to security woes

Source: Reuters - Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:24 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

ISTANBUL, July 25 (Reuters) - Operations at Turkey's Tripoli embassy will be suspended due to worsening security situation in Libya, Turkey's foreign ministry said on Friday, a day after Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the embassy in the capital could be evacuated.

More than 50 people have died so far in fighting that started 10 days ago and has deepened fears post-war Libya is slipping further into lawlessness, with its government unable to control heavily armed brigades of former rebel fighters battling for power.

"Our Tripoli embassy has temporarily suspended its operations," the ministry said. "The core personnel will continue work from our Tunisia embassy until the circumstances in Tripoli improve."

The move comes only days after Turkey issued a travel warning advising all its citizens to leave the North African country. The foreign Ministry said more than 500 Turks have already been sent back to Turkey via Tunisia on Thursday.

Turkey's consulate-general in the northwestern Libyan capital of Misrata will continue its operations normally, it said. (Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus