Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Quake hits southwest China, no reports of casualties yet

Source: Reuters - Sun, 3 Aug 2014 09:39 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-nat med-dev
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

(Recasts, adds details)

BEIJING, Aug 3 (Reuters) - A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck southwestern China on Sunday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, which state media said was felt most strongly in a remote area of Yunnan province, adding there were no reports of casualties yet.

The quake registered at a shallow depth of less than 1 mile.

State television said on its microblog that the epicentre was in Ludian county in Yunnan province, a mountainous area that is lightly populated.

It added that communications had been seriously affected and that authorities were trying to establish if there were any casualties.

The quake was also felt in the neighbouring provinces of Guizhou and Sichuan, state media added.

China is frequently struck by quakes in this part of the country. A quake in Sichuan in 2008 killed almost 70,000 people. (Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Matt Driskill)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs