Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Renewed Israel, Palestinian Gaza truce off to shaky start

Source: Reuters - Thu, 14 Aug 2014 05:31 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war hum-nat
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

* Israel launches air strikes after rocket fire from Gaza

* Palestinians say truce extended by five more days

* More talks set for Cairo on Sunday (Adds Palestinians to return to Egypt Saturday)

By Nidal al-Mughrabi and Maayan Lubell

GAZA/JERUSALEM, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Israel and the Palestinians renewed a truce that had largely tempered a five-week-old war, but the deal got off to a shaky start on Thursday with rockets from Gaza slamming into Israel and Israel retaliating with air strikes.

The Israeli military said Gaza militants breached the truce and fired eight rockets at Israel and that in response army forces targeted "terror sites" across the enclave. There were no casualties reported in any of the incidents.

Hamas denied involvement in firing the rockets and accused Israel of violating the truce, extended at the last minute by another five days for the sides to work out a long term ceasefire, mediated by Egypt.

Israel had no comment on the new truce deal announced in Cairo by the Palestinians.

Hamas official Izzat Reshiq denied the Palestinians had breached the truce, and denounced Israel's air strikes as "a violation of the calm".

The halt in fighting which has killed more than 2,000 people had been set to expire at midnight on Wednesday. Bridging the gaps between Israel and the Palestinians in order to secure a permanent ceasefire have proven difficult.

Hamas and its allies want an end to the Israeli and Egyptian blockade on Gaza.

Israel and Egypt harbour deep security concerns about Hamas, the dominant Islamist group in the small, Mediterranean coastal enclave, complicating any deal on easing border restrictions.

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh told Al-Aqsa Hamas television on Wednesday that the group would insist on "lifting the Gaza blockade" and reducing movement restrictions on the territory's 1.8 million residents, as a prerequisite to a "permanent calm".

Members of the Palestinian delegation said they would return to Cairo on Saturday night to begin more talks on Sunday.

CEASEFIRE PROPOSALS

A Palestinian official with knowledge of negotiations in Cairo said Egypt had presented a new proposal for a permanent truce.

Egyptian and Palestinian sources said Israel had tentatively agreed to allow some supplies into Gaza and relax curbs on the cross-border movement of people and goods, subject to certain conditions.

A Palestinian demand for a Gaza seaport and reconstruction of an airport destroyed in previous conflicts with Israel has also been a stumbling block, with Israel citing security reasons for opposing their operation.

The sides have agreed to delay discussion of any agreement on the ports for a month, a Palestinian official said.

As part of the Egyptian blueprint, Israel was expected to expand fishing limits it imposes on Gaza fishermen to 6 miles (10 km) from the usual 3-mile offshore zone.

"It will increase gradually to no less than 12 miles in coordination between the Palestinian Authority and Israel," the official said, referring to a likely expanded role in Gaza for Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, based in occupied West Bank.

In addition, the official said, the Egyptian plan calls for reducing the size of a "no-go" area for Palestinians on the Gaza side of the border from 300 metres (328 yards) to 100 metres so that local farmers can recover plots lost during security crackdowns.

Israel and Hamas have not met face-to-face in Cairo: Israel regards Hamas, which advocates its destruction, as a terrorist group.

The Gaza hostilities have killed 1,945 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip and 67 on the Israeli side. Most of the Palestinian dead have been civilians, hospital officials in the small, densely populated enclave say.

Israel launched its military campaign on July 8 to quell cross-border rocket fire from Gaza.

The heavy losses among civilians and the destruction of thousands of homes in Gaza - where the United Nations said 425,000 of a population of 1.8 million have been displaced by the war - have stoked international alarm.

Israel pulled ground forces out of Gaza last week after it said the army had completed its main mission of destroying more than 30 tunnels dug by militants for cross-border ambushes. It now wants guarantees Hamas will not use any reconstruction supplies sent into the enclave to rebuild the tunnels. (Additional reporting by Stephen Kalin and Lin Noueihed in Cairo; Writing by Maayan Lubell and Allyn Fisher-Ilan; Editing by Ken Wills and Jeremy Laurence)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
TOPICAL CONTENT
Topical content
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs