Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

ACLU sues over U.S. policy barring women from ground combat posts

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:04 GMT
Author: Reuters
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 27 (Reuters) - The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit on Tuesday on behalf of four U.S. servicewomen to challenge a longstanding policy barring women from thousands of ground combat positions, citing the changing nature of warfare and fairness for career soldiers.

The women involved in the suit have all completed tours in Iraq or Afghanistan where they served in combat or led female troops who went on missions with combat infantrymen, the ACLU said. It added that their careers had been limited "by a policy policy that does not grant them the same recognition for their service as their male counterparts."

"Combat exclusion is an archaic policy which does not reflect the realities of modern warfare, the values which our military espouses, or the actual capabilities of our service women," Anu Bhagwati, executive director of Service Women's Action Network and former Marine captain, said in the ACLU statement announcing the suit.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Northern California, names U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Penetta as a defendant. (Reporting by Peter Henderson; Writing By Cynthia Johnston; Editing Paul Thomasch)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs