TERRIFYING flash-floods have hit nearly two million people across Bangladesh, triggering landslides and wiping out homes.
So far 147 people are confirmed dead, with hundreds of thousands left homeless in the north and south-east of the country.
“Survivors urgently need safe drinking water and medicine – as well as cash to buy emergency food supplies,” says Myrna Evora, Plan International Country Director in Bangladesh.
“The poorest of the poor – including agricultural labourers and rickshaw pullers – are some of the worst affected, as their crops and means to earn a living have been destroyed.”
“In many areas roads are submerged and pregnant women and breast-feeding mothers are finding it impossible to access vital health services.”
Plan is distributing emergency cash to 7,000 families in some of the worst affected areas of the country.
The organisation is appealing for £650,000 to fund its emergency response for those most at need.
“Sanitation continues to be a serious concern – diarrhoea, skin infections and fever are on the increase in flood-affected areas and many women and girls don’t have access to sanitary towels,” says Ms Evora.
“We also want to make sure we protect children – as those in shelters, especially girls, are likely to be at greater risk of abuse.”
“Schools are among the water-logged buildings – so we will be working to help children continue their education in a safe and secure environment.”
Experts are expecting more heavy rains before September, resulting in continuous flooding.
For more information on Plan’s work or to make a donation call 0800 526 848 or visit www.plan-uk.org
Rose Foley Media Relations Officer Plan UK | www.plan-uk.org Direct Line: 0203 217 0257 | Switchboard: 0300 777 9777 / +44 (0)20 7608 1311 (Non-UK) | Mobile: 07964 296 431 | Skype: rose_planUK | Address: Finsgate 5-7 Cranwood Street, London EC1V 9LH
Notes to editors
1) Plan is a global children’s charity. We work with children in the world’s poorest countries to help them build a better future. A future you would want for all children, your family and friends. For over 70 years we’ve been taking action and standing up for every child’s right to fulfill their potential by: • giving children a healthy start in life, including access to safe drinking water • securing the education of girls and boys • working with communities to prepare for and survive disasters • inspiring children to take a lead in decisions that affect their lives • enabling families to earn a living and plan for their children’s future. We do what’s needed, where it’s needed most. We do what you would do. With your support children, families and entire communities have the power to move themselves from a life of poverty to a future with opportunity. www.plan.org.uk
2) Plan UK is a member of The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), an umbrella organisation for 14 leading humanitarian aid agencies.
3) We work with children in 50 of the world’s poorest countries to help them build a better future.
4) Plan was founded by British journalist John Langdon-Davies in 1937 to rescue orphans and other vulnerable children from the Spanish Civil War.
6) We have over 100,000 sponsors in the UK, generating £24 million a year, and 1 million sponsored children worldwide
7) Sponsorship starts at £15-a-month and, rather than going to individual children and their families, funds projects to improve schooling, health, nutrition and livelihoods across communities.