Tropical storm Isaac ripped through the impoverished
More than 7500 people have died of cholera in
"With heavy rains and flooding - and more expected - we are concerned about public health emergencies such as cholera," says Plan International's Country Director in
“Our response is focusing on life-saving needs such as clean water and food as well as safety and security, and protection for children.”
Isaac caused widespread destruction in communities where Plan works - carrying off roofs and temporary shelters and blocking roads and electricity supplies.
"We know of at least one man of 19 in the town of
"In the same area a 10 year old girl died when a wall collapsed, while in the South-East a 51 year old woman was killed when a tree smashed onto her house."
Plan works in communities in 9 districts in
Some 2437 people have been moved to temporary shelters in Jacmel in the South West - along with 3000 more in Croix-des-Bouquets.
"Plan will be distributing relief items stockpiled in its warehouses to people living in short-term refuges, " says Mr Chaloner.
"Our priority is children. They are most vulnerable during emergency and therefore need special attention."
Plan is working in close collaboration with national and local authorities, as well as UN and international aid agencies.
"Working together in coordination with others is a key lesson we have learned from past disasters," says Dr Unni Krishnan, Plan's Head of Disaster Response and Preparedness.
"Disasters affect children disproportionately and meeting their needs and protecting their rights are paramount in humanitarian situations."
Plan has been working in
For more information on Plan’s work visit www.plan-uk.org
Media Relations Officer
Mobile: 07964 296 431
Notes to editors
1) Plan is a global children’s charity. We work with children in the world’s poorest countries to help them build a better future. A future you would want for all children, your family and friends. For 75 years we’ve been taking action and standing up for every child’s right to fulfill their potential by:
· giving children a healthy start in life, including access to safe drinking water
· securing the education of girls and boys
· working with communities to prepare for and survive disasters
· inspiring children to take a lead in decisions that affect their lives
· enabling families to earn a living and plan for their children’s future.
We do what’s needed, where it’s needed most. We do what you would do. With your support children, families and entire communities have the power to move themselves from a life of poverty to a future with opportunity.
3) We work with children in 50 of the world’s poorest countries to help them build a better future.
4) Plan was founded by British journalist John Langdon-Davies in 1937 to rescue orphans and other vulnerable children from the Spanish Civil War.
6) We have over 100,000 sponsors in the
7) Sponsorship starts at £15-a-month and, rather than going to individual children and their families, funds projects to improve schooling, health, nutrition and livelihoods across communities.