Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly
Members login
  • TrustLaw
  • Members Portal
Subscribe Donate

Congo suspends army chief after UN arms sale report

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:13 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-aid
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

KINSHASA, Nov 22 (Reuters) - The head of Congo's army has been suspended while an investigation is carried out into whether he sold arms to rebels, as alleged by a United Nations report, Congo's government spokesman said on Thursday.

Information Minister Lambert Mende said other officers were being investigated along with General Gabriel Amisi, who commands Congo's land forces, but gave no further details.

Mende said the eastern town of Sake, seized by rebels on Wednesday, had been retaken by the army. It was not immediately possible to verify the claim.

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus