Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

French defence minister says Mali campaign will be long

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Wed, 16 Jan 2013 08:07 GMT
Author: Reuters
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

PARIS, Jan 16 (Reuters) - French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Wednesday that the country's campaign against al Qaeda-affiliated rebels in Mali would be long, and that French ground troops were deploying in the north.

"We're in a better position than last week, but the combat continues and it will be long, I imagine," Le Drian told RTL radio.

"Today the ground forces are in the process of deploying," he said. "Until now, we had some forces in (the capital) Bamako to secure the population, the European nationals, and the city... Now the French forces are reaching the north."

On Tuesday, President Francois Hollande said French forces would remain in Mali until stability returned to the West African nation, whose northern part the Islamist rebels have controlled since last April.

Hollande said France hoped, however, to hand over to African forces in its former colony, "in the coming days or weeks."

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs