Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

German pope prays at World War II Nazi atrocity site

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:42 GMT
Author: Reuters
hum-war
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

* Nazis killed 335 in reprisal ordered by Hitler

* Jewish groups applaud German pope's visit

* Last surviving Nazi murderer, 97, under Italy house arrest

By Philip Pullella

ROME, March 27 (Reuters) - German-born Pope Benedict prayed on Sunday at the site where Nazis killed 335 Italian men and boys and denounced one of the worst atrocities of World War Two as "the most horrendous form of evil".

Benedict visited the Ardeatine Caves on Rome's southern outskirts and prayed there together with Rome's chief Rabbi Riccardo di Segni. Seventy-five of the victims were Jews.

In his brief comments at the haunting underground site, Benedict, who was a member of the Hitler Youth when membership was compulsory and later served a German anti-aircraft artillery, called it a "painful memorial of the most horrendous form of evil".

On March 23, 1944, Italian partisans set a bomb on a narrow street, killing 33 German policemen who were part of the occupying powers in Rome.

In retaliation, a furious Hitler approved the murder of 10 Italians for each German killed and ordered that it should be carried out within 24 hours.

The victims of the reprisal, who eventually numbered five more than had been ordered by Hitler, were all shot in the back of the neck in the caves. The Germans later blew up the caves in a vain attempt to try to hide the massacre.

Benedict, speaking at the national monument where many of the victims are buried, said the massacre showed "the abyss that men can be sucked into when, spurred by blind violence, they abandon their own dignity as children of God and their fraternity among themselves".

Jewish groups welcomed the words of condemnation .

"This latest gesture by the German-born Benedict is a further dramatic step in binding the wounds that have disturbed Vatican-Jewish relations in recent years," said Elan Steinberg, vice president of the American Gathering of Holocaust Survivors and their Descendants.

But Steinberg lamented the fact that Ex-Nazi Captain Erich Priebke, who was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the massacre, is currently under house arrest and is allowed to go on shopping trips and other excursions.

"This is a grave offence against man. Those massacred at the Ardeatine caves by Erich Priebke were patriotic sons of Italy. Their memories, and the pope's moving visit, should not be dishonoured and we call on legal authorities to put an end to this perversion of justice," Steinberg said.

Priebke, who was extradited from Argentina in 1994, is now 97.

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus