Journalist (women’s issues)
Aswat Masriya (AM) is looking to recruit a journalist to contribute primarily to the “Women’s Issues” section of the Aswat Masriya website (www.aswatmasriya.com), but also file stories on governance and politics in Egypt. This is an 18-month contract based at the Reuters bureau in Cairo.
Aswat Masriya (www.aswatmasriya.com) is a website in both Arabic and English that provides essential news and information around governance and politics in Egypt. Aswat Masriya began as news service covering the Egyptian elections but is evolving to cover more general governance news, with a focus on regional politics, women’s rights and finance. The website is part of a larger Thomson Reuters Foundation (www.trust.org/trustmedia) initiative to strengthen the media in Egypt, along with a programme of elections reporting courses for journalists and media training for parliamentarians.
Duties and Responsibilities
- File and edit stories on governance and women’s rights in Egypt that are in line with Reuters standards of objectivity, independence and accuracy.
- Work with AM’s marketing manager to engage media outlets to both provide content on women’s issues to Aswat Masriya and to use Aswat Masriya women’s issues content on their sites.
Experience and skills required
- Strong editorial experience, familiarity with Reuters journalistic principles and standards.
- Proven experience reporting on women’s issues and an excellent knowledge of women’s issues in Egypt, particularly in the context of post-revolution Egypt.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates drive and enthusiasm and the ability to work off own initiatives
- Fluent in English and Arabic
- Egyptian citizen
To be discussed
Candidates should send a CV and covering letter (in English) to Bobbie Mellor email@example.com as soon as possible. This position has an immediate start.