Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly
Members login
  • TrustLaw
  • Members Portal
Subscribe Donate

Libya's Ansar says it quit Benghazi bases to preserve security

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Sat, 22 Sep 2012 11:38 GMT
Author: Reuters
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

BENGHAZI, Sept 22 (Reuters) - The Libyan Islamist militia Ansar al-Sharia said on Saturday it had evacuated its bases in Benghazi in the interest of security.

"The commander of the battalion gave orders to members to evacuate their premises and hand them over to the people of Benghazi," said spokesman Yousef al-Jehani. "We respect the views of the people of Benghazi, and to preserve security in the city we evacuated the premises."

The group, which has denied suggestions that it was responsible for an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in which the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed, had been the target of a mass protest in the city on Friday night.

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs