Any views expressed in this article are those of the author and not of Thomson Reuters Foundation.
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
The Logistics Coordinator is the senior logistics appointment in the Relief International (RI) South Sudan Program and is responsible for, and accountable for, the delivery of all logistics and supply chain related activities in accordance with Relief International Logistics policies and procedures. Fundamental to this role is the ability to manage and motivate RI logistics team and engage with other RI staff in country, external contractors and organizations therefore Logistics Coordinator is required to have the skills to communicate clearly verbally and in writing, plan for and deliver quality presentations and training, and produce timely written reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide the technical oversight, input and supervision to coordinate the staff support to, delivery of, and implementation of, all logistics support systems according to RI Logistics policies and procedures.
- Provide planning support and advice to those making a procurement request, then process and manage the procurement process (either locally or internationally) in accordance with RI policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Ensure that local market surveys are regularly carried out, to ensure a full knowledge of the availability and price of local items. Ensure that all procurements are tracked and recorded to identify items that should be part of a pre-approved tender process, and ensure that open and free competition for procurements is adhered too.
- Actively engage with freight forwarding agencies, freight handling/clearance agents, and local Customs, to ensure that cargo is managed at all points of the supply chain, and that all tracking and reporting deadlines are met.
- Proactively coordinate and direct the management and tracking of all project supplies, equipment, materiel and food in transit, through its receipt, storage, and onward distribution to include the locating and negotiating contracting for storage/warehousing that is secure, well-maintained, and meets standard warehousing operation & working practice requirements.
- Capture pipeline information, and coordinate the management of the supply chain ensuring that Program staff is well-informed and well-prepared for incoming goods and materiel. Ensure timely reporting on stock status, to help Program staff with planning of stock replenishment and that tracking through to end-user has occurred. And/or advise and support Program staff to verify that distribution has occurred according to the intentions and plans of the donors, RI , and project partners.
- Supervise and coordinate all matters logistics relating to transport and fuel management, to ensure that vehicles are insured, asset managed correctly, being driven safely, maintained appropriately, damages are reported, and ensure that vehicles internal equipment (tools, comms etc) are complete and serviceable; and that usage of fuel is correctly supervised, and logged and recorded.
- Liaise with security personnel on security-related transport issues, such as booking in/out, satcomms, radios etc.
Supervise and coordinate all matters logistics regarding satellite communications and radio communications to ensure that equipments are insured, asset managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner, and maintained appropriately.
- Capture, plan and regularly update preparedness reporting for the logistic systems in place under RI South Sudan program to include a current Logistic Concept of Operations. Plan to ensure that logistic systems are robust and flexible enough to cope if a crisis occurs by making thorough assessments of airports, transport available, warehousing, access routes, fuel availability, field comms issues, staffing challenges, training required etc. Raising issues though senior management as required.
- Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of action for audit purposes, and submit weekly and monthly logistics reports to the in-country management team, and Global logistics pursuant with RI policies and procedures.
- Be flexible and manage the time accordingly, to be prepared to tackle other tasks commensurate with the role, and level of experience, at short notice.
- Ensure compliance with RI policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws.
- Ensure that the procurement and disposal of commodities, especially those subject to US Export Compliance regulations, are in line with applicable licenses and are properly documented.
- Ensure that vendor eligibility screening is carried out in a timely fashion, updated regularly, and, recorded appropriately.
- Manage all staff within logistics department with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
- Make frequent site visits to where staff supervised by you are working, to ensure that the appropriate care and support is being offered. Ensure that staff supervised by you are evaluated regularly, trained and/or mentored in a structured accountable manner, and written records of such are retained.
- Oversee the recruitment, selection and performance of logistics staff, as required.
Training/ Capacity Building
- Advocate and plan for professional development for expat and national staff
- Determine training needs for staff supervised by you.
- Coordinate the delivery of training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity, and ensure sustainability of programs
- Proactively engage with the Country Director and key staff (Program, Finance, Adm. etc..) on all matters logistic to ensure that programmatic and project planning incorporates sufficient funding for logistical staff and logistical support mechanisms.
- Proactively engage on a regular basis with regional RI logistics teams, and logistics coordinators from other organizations to ensure appropriate links for interagency logistics coordination.
- Proactively engage with donors, local government, project partners, UN agencies and other non-governmental organizations in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and materiel as, well as to ensure adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
- Represent RI in a positive and professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of RI ’s mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors
- Act as Security Focal Point and ensure the application of, and compliance with, security protocols and policies of RI.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Evidence of practical experience in logistics management within the field of supply chain management (procurement, tendering, contracting, clearance, transport, warehousing, etc.) fleet management and asset management, distribution support.
- Proven record of experience of the management of logistics at a coordination level.
- Evidence of 3 to 4 field deployments under humanitarian emergency and international deployments; each deployment is minimum 12 weeks in length.
- Experience with donor specific procedures.
- It is desirable that experience is supported by study by academic study, such as completion of the Certification in Humanitarian Logistics.
- Prior experience of logistics software solutions (desired).
- Experience of the management of budgets and the ability to prepare timely, complete and accurate reports.
- Evidence of the ability to plan for, and conduct training in all areas of logistics for national and international staff (suitable to staff knowledge level).
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
- Strong interpersonal, management and leadership skills
- Ability to work in participatory manner with staff to assess needs, implement and monitor activities
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills
- Valid driving license
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel (minimum requirement).
- Language Skills:
- Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret, technical and non-technical in the English language
- Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions.
- Must be able to travel.
- Must be able to work in austere environments and lift, minimum, 45 pounds.