Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Suspected Boston bomber charged with using weapon of mass destruction

Source: Reuters - Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:06 GMT
Author: Reuters
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

(Corrects spelling of bombing suspect's first name in third paragraph)

BOSTON, April 22 (Reuters) - Federal prosecutors charged the surviving man suspected of bombing the finish of last week's Boston Marathon with one count of using a weapon of mass destruction and one count of malicious destruction of property resulting in death, the Justice Department said on Monday.

The charges authorize penalties including death, life in prison or a term in prison for any number of years, the Justice Department said in a statement.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was seriously injured in a firefight with police before his Friday arrest, was charged in his hospital bed earlier on Monday. (Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Cynthia Johnston)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
LATEST SLIDESHOW

Latest slideshow

See allSee all
FEATURED JOBS
Featured jobs