Maintenance. We are currently updating the site. Please check back shortly

Thomson Reuters Foundation

Inform - Connect - Empower

Two dead siege militants were Canadians-Algerian source

Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation - Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:42 GMT
Author: Reuters
Tweet Recommend Google + LinkedIn Email Print
Leave us a comment

ALGIERS, Jan 21 (Reuters) - Two dead Islamist militants found inside the Algerian desert siege site were Canadians, an Algerian security source told Reuters on Monday.

Algerian special forces had discovered the bodies at the Tiguentourine gas plant near the town of In Amenas, the source said.

Troops stormed the plant on Saturday, ending a hostage crisis which began when Islamists took control of the site before dawn on Wednesday. Many hostages, including American, British, French, Japanese, Norwegian and Romanian citizens, are among those missing or confirmed dead.

An official Algerian source said previously that the group behind the attack had comprised Arabs, Africans, and also people from outside the African continent. (reporting by Lamine Chikhi; editing by David Stamp)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of the Thomson Reuters Foundation. For more information see our Acceptable Use Policy.

comments powered by Disqus