(Adds quotes, context)
BRUSSELS, April 8 (Reuters) - World powers believe talks with Iran over its contentious nuclear programme have been substantial enough for diplomacy to continue, a senior Western diplomat said on Monday, days after a meeting in Kazakhstan failed to yield a breakthrough.
"There is enough substance for these negotiations to continue," the diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, told reporters. "I would not expect a breakdown."
The six powers - the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany - want Iran to scale back its nuclear programme because of concerns it aims to give the Islamic Republic the capability of making an atom bomb.
Iran denies having any military intentions and says it needs nuclear power to generate electricity and for medical purposes.
Last week, the six nations sought in the Kazakh city of Almaty to persuade Tehran to give up its most sensitive uranium enrichment in return for modest relief from crippling economic sanctions.
But no agreement was reached and Western officials said there was a wide gap between the two sides. (Reporting by Justyna Pawlak; Editing by Adrian Croft)