Organisation: Thomson Reuters Foundation
Deadline Tue, 21 Jan 2014
Job type: Contract
Aswat Masriya (www.aswatmasriya.com), set up by Thomson Reuters Foundation (TRF), is an online news and information service that provides Egyptians and the international community with essential political, financial and women’s news and information. The site was initially set up to cover the 2011 elections, and has since grown into a wide new service.
2014 will be a critical year for Aswat Masriya, both due to the planned elections and TRF’s plans to register Aswat Masriya as an Egyptian organisation.
We are looking for a Senior Editor to manage the Aswat Masriya news project. This is a full time role based in Cairo. Applicants who wish to continue working at other media outlets simultaneously need not apply.
Salary and contract details to be discussed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Overall management and responsibility for www.aswatmasriya.com and www.en.aswatmasriya.com
- Management of a team of 14 journalists covering news on Egypt, including overseeing their ongoing professional development, and expanding the current stringer network.
- Managing the editorial file to ensure that Reuters standards of accuracy, speed and objectivity are maintained.
- Overseeing the editorial budget with administrative/finance support from TRF.
- Working with the social media/marketing officer to further develop a marketing strategy for the Aswat Masriya, and maintain good relationships with Egyptian media.
- Working closely with TRF on the transition of Aswat Masriya into a locally registered independent organisation, including developing the service to meet changing needs.
- Working closely with TRF programme staff in London on project management and administration.
- Representing Aswat Masriya and Thomson Reuters Foundation externally.
- Delivering journalism training courses for TRF when required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Senior Editor/Editor experience is essential, including in a leadership role, managing a team of journalists/editors. Experience working with an international news outlet is highly desired.
- Experience working in online media.
- Experience of budget management or programme management is an asset.
- Excellent command of both Arabic and English, written and spoken.
Please send a CV and a cover letter in English to: email@example.com by 15th January 2014.