Corporate Groups £3,000 per day (6 -12 delegates) – Charities up to 30% discount.<
Course IntroductionEmploying appropriate and effective questioning techniques
What's it about?
Obtaining information from sources is possibly the most vital skill a journalist can have. This practical workshop will help you hone your interviewing skills both on the phone and face-to-face. It will help you understand how better to prepare for an interview and how to deal with difficult interviewees.
Who should attend?
For researchers, feature writers, PRs and news reporters who need practice and guidance to improve their interviewing techniques.
- Knowing how to prepare for the interview by researching the subject
- How to use tone of voice, behaviour, language to engage and reassure the interviewee
- Questioning techniques and how to select the most appropriate tactic
- Understanding the importance of listening
- How to structure and interview and follow up
Following this course you will have a polished interview technique that is appropriate for a range of situations.
Course Structure Highlights
- Preparation and research: approval procedures, knowing your subject, formulating your objective
- Setting the ground rules
- Telephone techniques
- Face-to-face techniques
- Personal profiles
- Difficult interviewees
- Use of quotes
- How individual interviews are conducted and analysed
- Ethical dilemmas: when someone says something they shouldn’t have