Corporate Groups £3,000 per day (6 -12 delegates) – Charities up to 30% discount.<
Course IntroductionExploring the power of journalism and learning to uncover unique stories
What's it about?
This workshop will equip journalists with the skills necessary to discover, uncover and report on news stories nobody else has. Participants will learn how to use investigative tools such as advanced internet searches and social media. They will learn how to ask the right questions and how to source material. Participants will also be coached in best practice journalism and the most effective way to structure and present their stories.
Who should attend?
This course targets journalists with some experience and who now need to learn more about investigative reporting techniques.
- Identify stories behind the spot news and follow up effectively on tip-offs from sources
- Execute advanced Internet searches for information, using tools such as Facebook, LinkedIn etc
- Structure and present a story which is clear, concise and shows the relevance for the reader/viewer
- Behave ethically as a journalist
Participants will learn new investigative reporting techniques while having the opportunity to refresh their existing skills. They will better understand the challenges faced by an investigative journalist, particularly in an era of fake news and opinion-as-fact journalism.
Course Structure Highlights
- Investigative Reporting vs Standard News Reporting
- Who is the Investigative Reporter
- The Ethics of Journalism
- The Dilemmas faced by Investigative Journalists
- Basic Story Structure
- Accuracy and Sourcing
- Headlines and Writing for Impact
- Advanced Internet Searches
- Interviewing and Networking Skills
- Breaking News